WALES – Bridgend woman leaves baby home alone during drunken night out

A MUM left her one-year-old baby home alone for four hours while she went on a late-night drinking binge with her friends, a court heard.

The 19-year-old hosted a drink-fuelled house party before heading to the pub with her friends – abandoning her baby in her unlocked home.

CCTV cameras caught the young woman kissing two male friends as she drunkenly stumbled home in the early hours of the morning.

The mother-of-one – who cannot be named for legal reasons – pleaded guilty to wilful neglect of her child in a manner likely to cause suffering, injury or death under Section 44, Mental Capacity Act 2005 based on existing principles (under Section 127 (1) of the Mental Health Act 1983)

She was given an eight-week prison sentence, suspended for two years, a two-year supervision order and was ordered to pay £85 costs on Friday, September 30.

The incident of neglect happened in mid-July this year after the young woman had invited some friends over to her house, where she lives alone with her baby.

“However, her friends were accompanied by a number of male persons and they ended up having a party,” said Deena Loynton, prosecuting.

“She maintained that the noise levels were kept quiet and she was constantly telling them to keep the noise down.”

The Bridgend woman left her house at about 11.40pm to go to the pub with her friends, leaving her baby alone in an upstairs bedroom.

The single mother had told those who attended her home to return later to continue the house party, the court was told. But when a number of young men returned to the house at about 2.15am, they found it unlocked and a baby sleeping unsupervised upstairs.

Police who later arrived at the property discovered it was “insecure” and found evidence that alcohol had been consumed.

“Arrangements were made for the child to be taken into emergency care,” Ms Loynton said.

The court heard CCTV cameras captured the young mother walking back to the address at about 3.30am. She was also seen in the company of two males and kissing both of them.

When police asked her why she thought they had called at her home, the intoxicated woman said she assumed her panic alarm had gone off.

Ms Loynton said the defendant admitted abandoning her child when later interviewed by police.

She said: “She admitted leaving her daughter alone. She believed she was only out for about 10 to 15 minutes and admitted her actions were stupid.”

Richard Ambrose, defending, said: “There is no evidence that this is a long-term situation of neglect.”

Mr Ambrose said the defendant had recently left an abusive relationship and found herself living alone and isolated from family.

He said: “Hopefully my client will have learned the hard way that when it comes to looking after children, it’s not something you can switch off.”

Permanent link to this article: